Sushi-less

BLANKs (things that seem to have inexplicably never made it to Japan)

Random Events (things that made me go "WHAT?")

Fusses (self-explanatory)


Thursday 24 February 2011

BLANK Of The Day 4

I was in a class the other day and the teacher was doing a quiz where she held up pictures of a typical breakfast from various countries to see if the students could guess which country it came from (answers ranged from names of towns to continents to other islands of Japan, so the answer was obviously no, but it was worth a try). She told about the quiz on the way into the classroom and proudly told me that she had an English breakfast photo in honour of me. I grinned and semi-bowed (I was over the moon that she had remembered I wasn't American to be honest!). We get to the second question, which was a picture of beef stew and cupcakes...I was thinking where the hell do they eat that for breakfast and did my best shock face, in tune with the students (I'm getting pretty good at the Japanese reactions now) and peered over the shoulder the teacher to read the answer...England! This was one of those "I had to laugh or else I would cry" moments. Cupcakes and beef stew. BEEF STEW AND CUPCAKES?? Where did she get that information?? To make it worse, I had been sitting opposite her in the staffroom for half of the morning...wouldn't asking the English person about the English breakfast, or even just checking quickly have made sense? She was so proud of her quiz though that I just didn't have the heart to say that it was complete rubbish and just span some line about everyone in England eating something different for breakfast. For instance, I eat toast (lack of shock faces there). I suppose one way to get them interested in foreign countries is just to lie about them. I now have 20-odd students who thinks an English breakfast is beef stew and cupcakes, when, in reality, I can't think of a combination that is less accurate...I hope they never go there and order one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment