Sushi-less

BLANKs (things that seem to have inexplicably never made it to Japan)

Random Events (things that made me go "WHAT?")

Fusses (self-explanatory)


Sunday 13 March 2011

Latest - Power Cuts

I think I may have been a bit naive on the front of life seeming like it was returning to normal. The difficulties caused by the Miyagi Earthquake on Friday in the way of power supply has led TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company) to carry out planned power cuts over several prefectures tomorrow, so that people will know when the power will be cut, rather than there simply being a power shortage at some point in the day and everything stopping. From what I understand, except for important public services like hospitals and fire/police stations, everything will be cut in the given areas. Trains should also still run in spite of the organised power shortages. They had been calling for people to try to keep their power usage to a minimum anyway, but a spokesman announced this plan a few hours ago. Amazingly, just a couple of hours a later, a list had already been drawn up, giving the concerned cities, towns and villages individually by name and the times they would be out. Ita-where? will be cut for 3 and a half hours in the mid afternoon. Fun school day afternoon for me! Some places have two periods of three hours each it seems! Generally, it all sounds like a very sensible and well-organised plan so far. I'll post about how it goes afterwards. Rumours say that, at worst, this could go on for a few weeks, but the situation will be in constant review. Tepco's website is down and is not working at the moment, so the list of towns and when the power cut will be carried out is not available, but it has been on the TV a couple of times, so hopefully most people have noted their designated time.

The affected prefectures are Gunma, Saitama, Tochigi, Ibaraki, Tokyo, Chiba, Kanagawa, Yamanashi and Shizuoka with various towns at various times. Out of the Kanto region, it seems that only central Tokyo isn't affected. There are some mistakes on the lists though. Ita-where has, for instance, been placed in Tochigi-ken, when the poor little baby is in Gunma. There are concerns about water supplies being cut too.

Furthermore, experts say that there is a 70% chance of an afterschock of 7.0 magnitude or more in the next 3 days, which could cause more tsunami worries...3 more days of anxiety in Japan it seems.

I'm taking my mind off things by laughing at the new presenters on Japanese TV, wearing helmets in the studio. Small pleasures.

7 comments:

  1. I hope the aftershocks do not materialize and those affected can begin to get back to normal. The earthquake has garnered huge press attention here in the U.S. The images of destruction have been terrible to see.

    I also want to say that I love your blog! I am an American teacher and have an interest in Japan, which all started with my friend who had lived in Japan many years ago. Then I heard about Bento lunches and got into that as a way to make my children's lunches more nutritious and interesting. That has lead me to learning even more about Japan. Your blog is very informative and very, very funny! Love your randoms and fusses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also want to say that Americans truly feel sadness for what has happened to Japan. A lot of people are making donations or placing orders from Japanese countries. It is not much but it is something. The spirit of the Japanese and their ability to cope with disaster is amazing. It makes me all the more disgusted, unfortunately, with the U.S. response to disasters like Katrina. The Japanese should be very proud of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh. That was supposed to read "Japanese COMPANIES"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments about my blog! I hope I don't come across as negative, just trying to be comical. Japan is a wonderful country.

    There are often news reports in Japan about the international responses to the events here, so they are aware that the world is thinking of them. I suppose everybody reacts in different ways to a disaster like this...it's hard to know until it happens, and I can fully see how panic sets in. It's very admirable to be able to stay calm in the way it seems Japan has...hasn't stopped toilet paper and cup ramen selling out on the other hand!!

    Please give donations and help out Japanese companies...every little helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not negative at all...I can tell you love Japan! Your blog is very funny, though. I mean, the fuss about the choco-chip bread..hilarious!

    Is there really no sushi where you live? It's so funny--I live in a university town here in Connecticut, and I have sushi right down the street! Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I am gloating about this. I'm sure you have other good things to eat, and I would love to read about them!

    I hope the situation continues to improve there. I am about to place my online order for a bunch of random items from a Japanese online store...

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I think the Katrina debacle was really more the fault of the Bush admin. than the U.S. gov't. overall. Although the fact is that apparently WalMart trucks were the first to actually arrive with aid in New Orleans...yes, they got there faster than the U.S. Army and Navy--never underestimate the power of capitalism, LOL--- but that doesn't change my admiration for the organized and calm way the Japanese seem to be handling this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't WalMart a supermarket or something?? They were quicker than the army?? That is a bit ridiculous!!

    One thing they have said about Japan recently in the news on the BBC is how amazing it is that everyone, even the most affected areas, are queuing politely and quietly for relief materials and only taking what they need, also, that there has been no looting or thieving from deserted shops. I'm sure that was different after Katrina and I'm sure it would be in the UK! I've mentioned it to a few non-Japanese friends who live here and we have all said the same thing - we just can't imagine a Japanese person looting something! It's just not in their nature. It is amazing that they can keep that nature even in times of crisis like this. Fantastic society.

    If you are interested in Japan, you really should visit one day! There is so much that you have to see to believe!

    If you are interested in Japanese food, by all means take a look at the "Articles For Other Websites" tab above. I've written something about a Japanese food called okonimyaki there. It's delicious!! (Not to be found in Ita-where though!)

    ReplyDelete