Sushi-less

BLANKs (things that seem to have inexplicably never made it to Japan)

Random Events (things that made me go "WHAT?")

Fusses (self-explanatory)


Wednesday 16 March 2011

Random Event Of The Day 6

It's all a bit tense here at the moment, so, might as well lighten things up with some good old Japanese randomness.

The power cuts, as mentioned in my post below, have been going on in various areas around Japan for the last few days. On Tuesday, the school I was at decided to carry on with normal lessons in spite of a three-hour cut planned in the middle of the day, which I think makes sense. What didn't make sense was everyone worrying that it was going to get too cold...it was so strange. All winter I've been going to that school, in freezing temperatures, snow a-falling outside, feeling like I was in the coldest place in the world and I can't ever remember anybody mentioning anything about the fact that the kids might be cold. It's an old building, the heating is so poor and, indeed, the room I teach English in has NO HEATING AT ALL. But a 3-hour power cut in not too cold weather and all anyone was talking about was how cold it was. "Mark, aren't you cold?" "Yes" I answered, stumbling, bewildered because I was thinking "I've been cold for 4 months and you've never asked before." Everyone worried a lot about the lack of heating (bear in mind the English room has no heating ever anyway!!) and one teacher even gave me an extra jacket which I felt was a bit rude to turn down so I was marching around school, pretending to look colder than I was, in a really nice white Zara long-necked jumper, poking out from underneath a GIGANTIC plastic navy tracksuit top...ironically this was all before the cut even started and...it never even happened! I think I was actually a bit hot in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment