Sushi-less

BLANKs (things that seem to have inexplicably never made it to Japan)

Random Events (things that made me go "WHAT?")

Fusses (self-explanatory)


Monday 22 February 2010

Welcome to my blog

Hello!

I didn't really know what a blog was until I saw Julie and Julia a couple of weeks and I still don't know exactly what you're supposed to do with one...so this "blog" may be very short, but I'm giving it a go.

I am a 22-year-old (that's right...I have no excuse for not knowing what a blog is) Londoner who got a job teaching English to children in Japan last year. So, I came bright-eyed and bushy-tailed ready for my life full of two of my favourite things...sushi and karaoke, cos everyone knows that that's what Japan is all about right?

Well, apparently there must have been some administrative issues as I seem to have accidentally been sent to the arse-crack of Japan. A small town called Ita-where?, famous for cucumbers (woo), which has a surplus of old people and rice fields and a distinct lack of both karaoke and sushi. I have been here for 7 months so far and I have somehow grown to love it and have just signed up to stay for another year (until August 2011), but basically, my life is pretty funny and being in the arsecrack of Japan, I have very few people to share the madness of it with, as everyone here is Japanese and thinks that I am clearly the mad one, not them. Of course, I know better.

So, this blog is mainly a means of self-therapy, aiming to prevent me from going mad or worse...turning Japanese (no masturbation pun intended). If you'd have asked me 7 months ago (or even 2 weeks ago to be honest) whether writing a blog was normal or not, I would have said definitely not, it's a sign of madness to sit and write random crap about your life on your own and then post it to some general (virtual) public with no idea who is reading it or what they are thinking. I can't imagine who would read this, but desperate times apparently call for desperate measures! So, if you are....a) don't be offended by anything I have just said about bloggers and b) Enjoy! Please laugh along at my misfortune and ring the loony bin on my behalf if I start sounding too Japanese...I have nothing to gauge my normality by anymore!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mark! Congratulations on the blog! Such a good idea. Like I said before, maybe you could turn it into a book eventually! Hope you're well. Lots of love Sup.

    PS miss you soooooo much!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete