Sushi-less

BLANKs (things that seem to have inexplicably never made it to Japan)

Random Events (things that made me go "WHAT?")

Fusses (self-explanatory)


Thursday 11 March 2010

Clubbing in Tokyo and Staying in a Manga Cafe

This weekend was a mega party weekend, in which I went clubbing on both Friday and Saturday night, staying at a manga cafe in between...a manga cafe sandwich if you will. A manga cafe doesn't really do what it says on the tin at all...there is manga, and there is coffee, but it's sort of like an internet cafe, but each computer has its own booth with a closing door (yeah...high tech I know, a door that closes) that you can sleep in, there is a shower room and then you can help yourself to as much free manga and as many free drinks (HOTTO and COLDO if you don't mind) as you like for the time that you're there. I paid 1,500 yen, about a tenner, for 6 hours, which with the free internet, drinks, and shower, is almost cheaper to buy than not to buy by my reckoning. The drawback is that you have to sleep on a sort of padded floor, instead of on a bed, but I've been thinking that in the cheaper hostels here, you only get a futon, and I sleep on a futon in my flat, so what is a futon if it's not just a moving padded floor right? I know you might be thinking that in Europe you can find hostels for that money and have the luxury of sleeping in a bed, but believe me, in Japan, you can't. This was right in the heart of Shinjuku, one of the main areas in central Tokyo too, and where I'd been clubbing AND you don't have to book them in advance, you can just roll in. Basically, I bum manga cafes and I think my friends here are starting to think that I'm working for their marketing department, the amount I bang on about them!

One other disadvantage is that they smell of smoke and you feel like SUCH a dirty stop-out the next day when you are leaving, looking like a train has just hit you, trying to wring kinks out of parts of your body you never knew you had, and some (relatively) normal people are arriving to use it for it's actually for, which is to read manga. But then, they are getting up at the crack of dawn (or maybe more like midday :D) to come and read manga in a smelly manga cafe, so let's face it, nobody is in much of a position to judge if they are in a manga cafe.

Anyway, on to the actual nights out. I went out in Shinjuku on Friday and Roppongi on Saturday (we saw SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO wooo!) and I had a great time on both nights...I've made some new friends, both Japanese and foreign, so it was a bit of a success all round really. Clubbing in Japan is so strange. The etiquette of clubbing in Japan is just amazing...it's so polite, it's unreal. Nobody is bumping into you all the time, you have space to dance, the queue is orderly and quiet, the bouncers are nice, there's no litter/broken bottles/sick all over the place inside...it's wicked! But I will probably be desperate for a dirrrrty night out when I get back to London, cos maybe the fun in a Japanese night club is just a tad too controlled, but still, at least you're not scared to bump in to someone in case they punch you and you don't arrive home (or at the manga cafe) with sick on your shoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment