Sushi-less

BLANKs (things that seem to have inexplicably never made it to Japan)

Random Events (things that made me go "WHAT?")

Fusses (self-explanatory)


Thursday 11 March 2010

Some Other Things What Did Happen This Weekend

So, except for clubbing ever so politely and sleeping on a padded floor surrounded by comics, this weekend held many more exciting adventures. I went SHOPPING for the first time in ages, with some money my Mum and Dad gave me for my birthday...bought a cardy in Uniqlo (it really comes from Japan) and a super cool spring jacket from Comme Ca (I can't remember if we have them in the UK?), which I love so much (just need the weather to wear it now though). I love Japanese fashion (for guys only, for girls it is rank)...I just wish I was Japanese so that I could pull more of it off. The lady in Comme Ca was so so so hyper excited and lovely too...she told me I had pretty eyes and said I was amazing at Japanese and that the jacket would suit me so well and that I was so lucky to get it because it's been so popular and that my fashion was really cool...I think she was step off climbing over the counter and raping me to be honest.

I also went out for Turkish food in Shinjuku, Tokyo with a friend on Saturday evening, which made a nice change. Hummus and lamb!! So un-Japanese it was amazing. It's a nice restaurant, overlooking one of the main street in Shinjuku, so great for watching the world go by...slightly annoying Turkish Eurovision-entry style music playing and the constant threat that belly dancing could begin at any second, as advertised by its website were the downsides though.

On Sunday, having got home first thing and collapsing into a heap on my futon (or movable padded floor as I may now call it) for several hours, I went to a classical concert with this nice old man who lives in the next city. It was a really good concert...it's the third one we've been to and the first one I've managed to stay awake for the whole way through so that must say something for it right? European classical music seems to be really popular in Japan. He brought his niece along, who is my age and seemed really cool and we might hang out in Tokyo together soon, so that's nice too. Then we all went for an Indian (I know you must be thinking, it seems like you have eaten about 15 meals in this weekend Mark, and you would be very much CORRECT in thinking that).

I spent pretty much the remainder of the weekend lost in Shinjuku...that place is a NIGHTMARE. I swear, the station itself is so big it must have its own time zone...if you take the wrong exit (of which there are about 100, so the chances are you will), you somehow wind up in a TOTALLY different place to where you wanted to be, signs are few and far between, often only in Japanese and various colours, as if to trick you...things have confusing names like the "East Exit" and the "East Central Exit" or the "Lumine Department Store" and the "Lumine 2 Department Store" so that you think you are where you are supposed to be when, in fact, you are still nowhere near it. The streets of Shinjuku are confusing enough, but the station makes it even worse...I must have spent at least 10 hours in that station in total since I've been in Japan and I am still finding bits I didn't know existed...I was also 45 MINUTES late for meeting my friend on Saturday, even though we met in the same place we always do, because I just couldn't find it!! From now on, I do solemnly swear, never to select anywhere in or near Shinjuku as a meeting place ever again. End of.

4 comments:

  1. Haha this is my favourite blog ever!!

    And trust me, I read like, maybe 1 or 2 other blogs...

    I also don't read books often (I am still trying to finish a book me and Phil jointly started about 2 years ago, and he finished about 22 months ago)...so this is my MAIN source of literature, and it's fantastic! :D

    Alice Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I meant to say I read about 1 or 2 other blogs...like once a YEAR, but I forgot, and now it sounds like I read blogs. I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very pleased to be feature in your choice selection of blogs Alice. I think my main source of literature at the moment is The Little Mermaid in Japanese, which I am about one chapter in to and have so far understood about three words of (the names)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You won't believe this but I have (successfully I might add) used three different parts of Shinjuku station as meeting places this weekend! Woo!

    ReplyDelete