Sushi-less

BLANKs (things that seem to have inexplicably never made it to Japan)

Random Events (things that made me go "WHAT?")

Fusses (self-explanatory)


Saturday 27 March 2010

Good Luck Always Comes in...SEVENS!!??

Basically guys, I am so happy at the moment. This is why these two new posts have taken so long, because, the problem with a blog I am finding is, that when I have a life to write about, I have no time to write about it. When I do have time to write, it is probably because I have not life and hence have nothing to say....hmmmm the trials, tribulations and issues of being a blogger. Anyway, the reason I am so happy are seven-fold (or more really but seven that I can be arsed to write about, so here it goes...)

1. I had a wicked weekend last weekend. It was long weekend (apolgies of the overuse of the word "weekend" there. I went to a famous town called Nikko, which isn't that far from me but I hadn't previously got round to going. It is beautiful with lots of temples and nature to be seen etc. Then I went to Tokyo for a proper party weekend. I made some new friends and got to know some other friend better. I got to practice loads of Japanese etc. It was very Japanese partying...I did karaoke, purikura (which are these wicked photo booths where everything is cartoony and colourful in the background and you can add patterns and writing afterwards...google it), went to two izakayas, which is like a Japanese pub restaurant, erm.... and just spent the whole time with Japanese people to be honest. Saturday night was a leaving do for a Japanese mate, who is actually going to live in London ironically. It was in a really cool modern bar, owned by Fiat the car people, for some reason. On Sunday, one of my new Japanese friends was DJing at this bar called Hell's Bar, which had crazy decor and stuff. It was a wicked atmosphere and great music...I had a great time. Previously to that we sort of started a mini-party in the convenience store down the road, to save money on drinks. It had a little table and we asked the guy if we could drink our drinks there, and wound up staying there for hours and popping back in during the night (hence a huge hangover). Anyway....can you even imagine being allowed to drink in a Spa or something for a few hours in the UK? It must be illegal, and people just aren't nice enough to let you do things like that....I heart Japan.

2. Everything is changing at work for the better. One of my main English teachers is changing next year (as of 1st April) and I've found out that the new one is YOUNG! WOOO! Maybe he will actually understand the importance of English and maybe he will have covered in his training what he/she is supposed to use me for, instead of just ignorning me/making me read from the textbook. I will talkk about my frustration with English education in Japan another time, but let's just say, that my relationship with my juniou high school teachers really couldn't get much worse...so a new, young one will be a refreshing change...he/she has only just graduated from uni so they should at least bring an open mind with them.

3. Another change at work is that I am getting a new supervisor. My supervisor is sort of my boss I suppose and just co-ordinates everything and sorts all things out like my schedules and my taxes and stuff. I really really like my current one, so it's not that I needed her to change. But she can speak no English, which can be a challenge, when talking about taxes etc. especially, and the new one can speak really good English. and I already know her! She's one of my mates from the town hall. And with all due respect to Yamada-san, my current one, who is incredibly Japanese, in a shy, indirect, don't want to cause any fuss type way, the new one is kind of open-minded and a bit ballsy for a Japanese woman, so will probably more pro-active than 10 Yamada-san's put together.

4. I am moving appartment! Mine is horrible, dirty and expensive. No details yet, but the new one should be newer, cleaner and cheaper, if a little smaller, but bothered. I am OVER THE FUCKING MOON, if you'll pardon my French.

5. There are things called enkais here, which are work parties basically, but they are kind of more important somehow...I can't really explain it. Anyway, I am not exaggerating when I say that I do not know one other JET who doesn't get invited to their schools enkais (I'm sure there are a few somewhere), and in fact, nearly every single one I have spoken to had their own welcome enkai in their honour when they arrived. I had....nothing. I have been invited to....zero. I hope this is not to do with me, but to do with previous JETs here being a bit shit or rejecting them and them giving up, and also that I am in so many schools, nobody really feels that I am important enough or something....I have no idea why but it's actually bothered me a lot because I would love to get to know my colleagues outside of work, with some social lubricant in the form of beer etc. Anyway, all this has changed...I was invited to the West primary school's (ironically my least favourite school haha) end of academic year enkai! Woo!! I will report back with how it went later.

6. Almost unbelievably...literally, Japan is random but this takes the biscuit, I was also invited to my juniour high school's end of academic year enkai at the last minute!! I am SO SO SO thrilled...it's about fucking time though.

7. I have ALSO been invited out by some people at the town hall, which many other JETs are regularly, especially the ones at lots of schools, but I never have been. My current supervisor apolgised that it had never happened before and we are going out together at the end of April. How all of these things have happened at once I have NO idea, but I am asking no questions. I am so so happy! Woo!

3 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    I very randomly came across ypur Blog when I was searching for others from the beloved UK who are also currently working in Japan through JET, as I myself am too :) Nice to meet you! ...though my situation is rather different, as my mother is Japanese which gives me more of an advantage and I'm living in the north of Japan, Hokkaido. (I'm also blogging, in case it might be of any interest to you!)

    I'm glad that you're being invited to more enkais! It definetely is a nicer way to get to know everyone at work, though the enkai system itself is a little weird, from my point of view...but fun, in the end!

    I hope I didn't freak you out too much by this :P
    Keep enjoying what's ahead of you!

    - Klash

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no, thanks for your comment. I'm sure it's very different for you, but equally as intersting. I have looked at your blog briefly, but will read some more soon!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you come home to visit I'll throw an enkais in your honour!

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete